A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Rick Mercer smacks down Jon Stewart

OK, let me just say that I love Jon Stewart. Sure, I don't have cable anymore (because the cable company is a big thirsty vampire, sucking our life blood out of us daily), but when I did have cable, I really enjoyed The Daily Show. Based on a new invention called "You Tube," it seems I would also really like The Colbert Report. However, they both pale in comparision to Rick Mercer. I don't know how to do fancy-schmancy links in my blog posts yet (technology is hard, says Barbie!). However, if you go to www.cbc.ca/mercerreport, you should get a clear idea of what I am talking about. Important education point for the many readers of this blog in, say, Kuala Lampur: Rick Mercer is a Canadian. Canada is, in fact, a separate country from the US of A. Which means that almost everything is different, but just slightly. Little quirky differences, so you know you are not in the States, and can't just whip out your .38 and shoot the jerk that stepped on your foot at The Beer Store. See, The Beer Store - there's another. We don't have anything like that in the States.

Anyway, back to Rick Mercer. He has a comedic news show, sort of along the lines of The Daily Show. HOWEVER (and this is where the smackdown takes place) he travels throughout Canada, meeting and talking to people and doing wild and crazy stuff. (He also occasionally travels through the States, when he does his Talking to Americans program, but that's a whole 'nother post.) For example, last night he harness raced Ralph Klein, the Premier of Alberta. Way cooler than sitting back behind a cushy desk for 30 minutes! My favorite episode had to be when he went to (oh dear, I think it was) Winnipeg and met Dr. Popsicle, who conducts tests of how people's bodies react when they fall through the ice. (Not really a danger in Canada most of the year, only in July and August.) Anyway, here's Rick, in a suit, being lowered into a big tank full of icy cold water. Like I said, WAY cooler than Stewart.

And that's what I think about THAT!

The Big Seester

2 Comments:

Blogger The Big Seester said...

Well, we all know you are amassing at the border. We're keeping our eyes on you!

Hey, London guy, do you know Rob?

November 8, 2006 at 11:45:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Legato said...

Odd that I get to come across this... Recently read a small piece about Mercer, and haven't had a chance to look into him yet. I want to be clear on something: The Colbert Report and the Daily Show "pale in comparison"? I just get sceptical when I read anyone say that. About anything. At all.
Oh, and I'm from London, but I DO live in Kuala Lumpur! So good day to you Canada! :)
p.s. If Mercer really is as good as you say, I'll come back to acknowledge that

November 17, 2011 at 9:27:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home