A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Monday, February 26, 2007

Well, I blew it...once

So far the giving up sarcasm for Lent thing is going pretty well. I have only had 1 major gaffe. Of course, part of the problem is I'm not entirely sure I can differentiate between "sarcasm" and "making a joke." I have a great vocabulary, but I cannot for the life of me define a word. (Does that make sense?)

However, The Clam and I were riding in my automobile to dinner after the Rite of Election at the Cathedral and she mentioned wanting to attend the Chrism Mass this year (Heathen alert: the Chrism Mass takes place on Holy Thursday (the day before Good Friday, just before Easter) and this is the Mass where the oil gets blessed (oil which gets used for Baptisms and Last Rites) for the next year.) So The Clam says she wants to go because (1) she's never been to one before (which I don't think is that uncommon - lots of Catholics have never been to a Chrism Mass, which isn't to say they shouldn't go) and (2) they are, after all, going to anoint her with it during the Easter Vigil Mass on Holy Saturday. To which I reply (without even thinking about it) "So you want to be sure they don't spit in it?"

See? This is the kind of thing I am talking about. It just shot out there. No forethought. On the one hand, it's nice to have a quick wit. On the other hand, it can occasionally be...inappropriate (dontcha think?!) I need to get a curb on this now, before I get older and suffer a stroke and really can't control what I say.

OTOH, the compromise I worked out with my canon lawyer friend to not deprive my mother of my wit during her last few weeks in town seems to be working well.

How's your Lent going?

1 Comments:

Blogger The Big Seester said...

Hmmm. I tend to think of sarcasm as a synonym for "snarky" (which that comment definitely was).

And the stupid thing is, it was just a dumb thing to say. I always go for the laughs, without much forethought.

I dunno - what say you, Faithful Blog Readers?

Canuck - notice I refrained from any comments on the relative value of American currency vs. Canadian currency.

TBS

February 26, 2007 at 1:10:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home