A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Monday, December 04, 2006

Adopt-a-Family 2006

The Archdiocese of Detroit is sponsoring our annual Adopt-a-Family for Christmas program. We have a record number of families signed up. Last year we noted the trend that more and more recipients are asking for funds to help pay bills, because they can't pay for their heat, etc. This year many of the families are more middle class, but who have lost jobs and are just trying to hold it together. Love that Michigan economy! Gov. Granholm had better step up to the plate, that's all I can say.

Anyway, we are only 2 weeks away from the deadline, and we are severely under budget with donations. We usually end up with over $50,000, and right now we have only $20,000. Keep in mind that 100% of donations go to needy families - the AOD takes NOTHING, and pays for all the advertising, bookkeeping, etc.

If you are interested in making a donation, please go to the AOD website www.aodonline.org, go to the bar on the left, click Offices & Ministries, then choose Parish Life and Services. Adopt-a-family should be the first choice. (Yes, I know. Our website is not easy to navigate.)

God bless.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

You may want to see if Gerald, Shea, Welborn, etc. would be willing to post this. Get some wider coverage. (NOT that I'm slamming the readership of your blog, mind you...just that I know they all have quite a few more hits than I have.)

December 4, 2006 at 2:03:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

Well, except that their dioceses will have their own Christmas fundraisers. The people of the AOD ought to pony up for the needy in the AOD...

I mean, how many people in the AOD are saying, "Well, I'd like to help, but after all, I have to get the new Xbox for little Dakota for Christmas."

BTW, have you seen the new Wii ad? It's brilliant! I still don't want one, but I kind of wish I did, because the ad makes it clear that Wii is much more geekishly cool than whatever the competition is!

TBS

December 4, 2006 at 3:24:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

And, BTW, I have scores of readers of this blog, I'll have you know!

Humph!

December 4, 2006 at 3:25:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home