A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Hollywood

For the last several years, we have been hearing about the big "box office slump" that Hollywood has been experiencing. They are wringing their greedy little hands and wondering what is going on. Well, here's my 2 cents, and if they listen to me, they might learn a thing or two.

1. Let's take the obvious one first: ticket prices. Last time I checked, ticket prices were $8 or $8.50 (this just shows you how often I go see a movie at the theater). I live in Michigan, so our ticket prices are not going to be the highest in the country. Now, we've all heard Grandma talk about how she used to go to the movies and it cost two bits (which I think means 50 cents) and the candy cost a nickel and for that 50 cents you got a double feature, previews, newsreels, a cartoon, and at least one "short" (The 3 Stooges, for example). Of course, what with walking uphill 5 miles in the snow to school, they needed all this time just to get their strength back. However, it does make one a little peeved, when we are paying $8 for 1 movie and previews, and COMMERCIALS. At the risk of sounding like a grouch, I can watch commercials at home for free. What's more, I can use the commercial time to powder my nose, get a drink from the kitchen, take out the trash etc. I can certainly MUTE the commercials. I rarely actually sit and watch a commercial.

2. The video rental issue. As I like to say to people, when I can watch from the comforts of home, why would I pay $8 to go to a crowded theater and deal with 100 self-absorbed people who are (pick all that apply):
a. ignoring their crying children
b. fielding cell-phone calls
c. getting up multiple times
d. talking to their friends
e. kicking the back of your seat
f. eating popcorn like they just got back from 3 months in the jungle, with nothing but lizards to sustain them

People like this may get invited to watch one movie with me, but they don't get invited back.

But at home, if it's too loud, I can turn it down. If I miss dialogue, I can rewind it. If I have to piddle, I can pause it. I can get a blanket if I'm too cold. I can drink a glass of wine while I watch the movie (or an Irish coffee, or 6 tequila shots). Plus, my floor is hardly ever sticky and popcorn laden. (Except after 6 tequila shot nights!) Additionally, if it's a bad movie, I can just turn it off.

When you've shelled out $8 for a movie, plus another $8 for popcorn and a sody-pop, you don't want to walk out. You have just spent serious money. I mean, think about it: $16 is more than the majority of Americans make in an hour. It's not an insignificant amount of money. You feel really ripped off (at least I do). That's one of the reasons video stores became popular in the first place. For less than the price of one ticket, I can rent a movie at Blockbuster and invite a few people over to watch it. Divide up the cost, and it's less than $1 per person. If you check the movie out from the library, the total cost is $1. Is this a great country or what!?!? I will say, however, Blockbuster: your days are numbered. Recently The Clam and I found ourselves wanting to watch a movie on a Friday night. I remembered that she had never seen Caddyshack (gasp!), so we decided to rent it. The library was already closed, and the down side to Netflix is that you cannot decide on a whim you want to watch a movie and have it within an hour. So off we went to Blockbuster. They charged us $4.49 for a 25 year old movie. I could NOT believe it. What a ripoff! The library would have been a much better option. But planning is everything (for the moment, until downloadable movies become the norm). Anyway...

3. With apologies to Lloyd Bentsen, "Brad Pitt, I knew Cary Grant. I have seen dozens of his films. You, sir, are no Cary Grant." The golden age of Hollywood is OVER. There are no more Cary Grants, Audrey Hepburns, Barbara Stanwycks, Gary Coopers, Humphrey Bogarts, Lauren Bacalls (well, she's still alive, but she doesn't do much anymore). I cannot think of a single actor today who has the charm, the grace, the charisma of the giants. I know there was a move for a while there to try to make Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan be the new Tracy & Hepburn, but they just weren't. So you don't really have the drawing power that you used to. I mean, people used to say, "The new Cary Grant movie is playing this week at the Odeon. Let's go!" I don't know any actors that people say that about these days.

4. The there's the CONTENT of the movies. As in, there is none. There's mindless violence, mindless sex, or possibly both, and a lot of swear words. You know, when it comes to that kind of stuff, here's my thing: It takes more talent to lead people's imaginations than it does to spoonfeed them every detail. Steve McQueen (what a great actor!) didn't do a lot of cursing in his movies. As a matter of fact, he looked down on it. He felt that if he couldn't show his emotions without swearing, then he wasn't doing his job. (How true!) A good actor can relate everything they need to by his face, his body language and a little dialogue. All of which reinforces what I said in number 3.

5. Let's get back to the money issue, because I believe that the money issue is the really big issue here. I believe it makes all the difference. So, here's the other side of "$8 a ticket." Back when Grandma was shelling out two bits for movies, what else was she shelling out for, entertainment-wise? Most familes had a radio in their living rooms. That was IT. No cable television (or satellite dish), no video rentals, no internet, no satellite radio, no Nintendo, etc. Now, many people have most (or all) those things, and they are paying a lot of money for them. It adds up. And, frankly, the amounts astound me. Some of those video game machines are over $300 - and you haven't even bought a game yet! Plus they have to be upgraded every couple of years. Some people pay well over $100 a month just for cable TV. I mean, this stuff really adds up! (I can see you at home now, loyal fans, thinking, "No s***, Sherlock!")

But my point is: the movie industry is competing with a lot more for your entertainment dollar. And there's just so many dollars to go around. When I was renting Caddyshack that night, I said (loudly), "Wow. I could rent 4 1/2 movies at the library for this price, and be halfway to a free rental!" (Yes, it did embarrass The Clam, but I think these things need to be said.)

So, Hollywood...I don't know what the answer is. There are occasions where the big screen is really cool. For example, The Clam, The Canuck and I went and saw the last Harry Potter at the local IMAX theater, and it was mind-blowing (and no, we weren't stoned). But here's the thing: we just had the dubious privilege of watching U of M get clobbered by Ohio State (aka Evil Incarnate) on a quite lovely flat panel high definition large screen TV. I'll bet Harry Potter would look way better on that TV than he does on my measly little 20 inch old-fashioned TV. Soooo, do I shell out $8 (or $11 at the IMAX) every time a movie comes out, or do I buy a plasma TV?

I just don't think that going to a theater to watch a movie is the best option any more. And, it seems from Hollywood's fiscal stats, I'm not alone.

8 Comments:

Blogger The Big Seester said...

Now that's very interesting, Bald Guy...did you happen to see CBC World News with Peter Mansbridge (he's sooo dreamy!) last night?

I'm working on a post about it. There was a piece about how (in Canada, obviously) networks want:
1. to have more commercials, and
2. to charge cable companies for the privilege of airing network TV.

To which the Rogers guy said:
1. I can't believe these morons want our industry to support their industry, and
2. If it happens, we will pass the cost on to you, our loyal customer.

The cost mentioned was $5 a month. (Remember though: Costs only go UP.)

Now, this was specifically Canada. But if it works in Canada, guess where else it will get adopted.

Do you have any links or info about the MPAA that you can pass on?

T'anks!

November 28, 2006 at 4:17:00 PM EST  
Blogger Colleen said...

It wouldn't at all surprise me if the MPAA fought for such legislation. And for them to do this shows that they completely miss the point of WHY their revenues are down. Namely, same old tired plotlines; annoying actors that aren't like those good old ones you blogged about; gratuitous sex, violence and language.

I absolutely agree that it takes more talent (both in the movies AND in books) to get your point across while leaving things to the imagination. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against R-rated movies. If I'm watching a movie about WWII, I expect to see violence and to hear some language. But can you imagine what a modern movie maker would do to some of the best of the old movies? A modern version of any of the great Hitchcock movies? Heaven help us!

And speaking of leaving things to the imagination. . . do you suppose one thing that made the old actors more appealing is that they were removed from everyday life? To some extent, the public knew about their marriages/divorces/etc. But the "adoring fans" were spared the more intimate details of their sex lives, their political views, their brushes with the law.

Having said all that, I still avoid going out for a movie for all the reasons you listed. Call me anti-social, but I'd rather not listen to others' cell phones and their loud chewing. The floors and seats are always gross, even in the newest cineplexes. When I'm at home, I know there will be toilet paper in the bathrooms and NO LINES to use the toilet!

I've gotten carried away and taken up WAY too much space on your comments!!!

November 28, 2006 at 4:52:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

Wow, DJ,

You can't get CBC on your satellite? OK, yet another reason I won't be getting one. I hate hate hate the idea of giving one red cent to Comcast, but I needs my Corrie!!!

November 29, 2006 at 12:14:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

CWAM,

No prob - you didn't take up too much room. I knew I could be the only person who feels this way.

Canuck,

Are you going to give us some links?

November 29, 2006 at 12:15:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kasia said...

I'm with CWAM. If I want to hear loud chewing, I'll just go to dinner with my cousins. GROSS!

OK, that was petty, but I feel better now. ;-)

November 29, 2006 at 1:34:00 PM EST  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

I watch a lot of old movies, and one thing I notice when I go to new movies in a theatre is that there is WAY more music now than there used to be. I was watching 'Casablanca' a while ago, and I began to get unnerved, because there was NO MUSIC during dramatic scenes. The actors were just *acting* - imagine that! With no sobbing chords to alert us to the fact that we should be feeling sad or apprehensive or amused. Directors today don't seem to trust their audiences to feel what they ought to feel, so a soundtrack is slathered over every spare second of screen time. I first noticed this when I saw the 1992 Robin Williams film "Toys" in the theatre, and I honestly was missing some of the dialogue because the music was so loud. Ever since then, I've noticed that there is way too much music in movies.

November 29, 2006 at 2:06:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kasia said...

That's an interesting point, Dr. Mabuse. I think I first noticed music as a detractor when I saw "Blown Away" many years ago...they kept doing ominous music throughout this one scene, because you just KNEW that the innocent wife and daughter were going to be targeted by the villain. Every time one of them went to open the fridge, turn on a burner, or basically do ANYthing...DUN DUN! Ominous music! As it turned out, they both survived the scene; however, my adrenaline spiked more times than I care to think about. Very annoying.

I hadn't really noticed the excessive-music issue, but the point is well taken. It makes sense - it's one more thing for the filmmakers to cash in on.

November 29, 2006 at 2:32:00 PM EST  
Blogger Sister Yesterday said...

Love the blog---
You nailed all the reasons why I don't shell out to go to the movies anymore. I have one more - the people who bring children far too young to understand what is going on up on the screen and so they spend the entire time asking "What's that?", and mummy spends the movie loudly explaining the plot to the little dear. I always feel as though there is a talking Seeing Eye Dog sitting behind me.
BTW - Two bits is 25 cents! So, an evening at the movies was an even better deal in Grandma's day...

December 2, 2006 at 9:16:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home