A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Monday, November 27, 2006

Chester Cheetah Has a Problem

OK, so last night I'm watching Family Guy (since Mystery! wasn't on PBS - they are having fundraising drive #27 for this fiscal year, and I cannot watch Andre Rieu without thinking about that goofy character from Serendipity.) There are 2 things you must know:

1. Chester Cheetah is the cartoon schill for Cheetos brand cheezy poofs.
2. The Family Guy is infamous for bizarre non-sequiturs which get interspersed into the show.

So all of a sudden, we flash into Chester Cheetah's living room. He's blasting Rush, and he has Cheetos on his coffee table, which he proceeds to cut with a razor blade and snort, leaving a bunch of bright orange residue on his nose, and he says (loudly), "Oh yeah! Neil Peart is the best drummer EVER!!"

4 Comments:

Blogger The Big Seester said...

Baldguy,

I almost called you when it happened, but I was laughing so hard I thought you might think it was a crank call. And with calls to Canada being mighty expensive, I figured giggling hysterically wasn't the best use of the airtime.

Also, sorry, but the best drummer EVER is Keith Moon. However, Neil Peart is an amazing drummer. I probably would have noticed that sooner if Geddy Lee's voice didn't force me to change the radio station.

TBS

November 27, 2006 at 12:23:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

DJ,

You know, it's like you aren't even trying! What, do you have something else going on in your life? Children? Well, they should be in military school. Then you'd have plenty of time for important stuff like this!

Family Guy: a cartoon created by Seth MacFarlane about a family living in Quahog, Rhode Island. Depending on who you ask, it is either a ripoff of The Simpsons (that's what THEY say) or it's not. On the surface it seems to be, but it's actually fairly unique (as this post should have shown you). Seth MacFarlane also created American Dad, about a CIA agent and his family. They both air Sunday nights.

2. Andre Rieu - well, I don't know who he IS. I just know who he is, if you know what I mean. He is an obnoxious guy with scraggly long hair who plays the violin and has a whole orchestra backing him up. He does this live show from somewhere in Europe featuring pseudo-classical music. (It gets shown on the PSB pledge drives, along with Dr. Wayne Dyer - so it is self-important, overly serious and pedantic, by definition.)

3. Serendipity: a movie from about 5 years ago with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale. It also featured the guy who played the DJ on Northern Exposure as a self-important "world musician" who I thought was modeled after Yanni or John Tesh, but possibly not. Anyway, it's a cute little romantic comedy about a couple that should be together, but they're not, but by the end of the movie, they are. It's mostly memorable because it's pretty funny for a romantic comedy.

4. You dislike Rush also? Is it because of Geddy Lee's voice, or because of their self-important, overly serious and pedantic lyrics?

TBS

November 27, 2006 at 12:35:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

DJ,

I know what you mean. I used to be a rock and/or roll fan. I knew all the songs and all the bands (and often all the members' names). Nowadays, I find myself listening to little to no rock music. I can't stand top 40, so "soft rock" is out, although now that we're past Thanksgiving, I have WNIC programmed into my car radio. (It will be de-programmed on 12/26.) But I do like to have the Christmas music going on in December.

I still enjoy standards and big band music. However, I find myself more and more into classical music, with a special affinity for things like Gregorian chant, Latin hymns, and Masses (e.g. Requiem Masses - I have Mozart, Verdi Faure and Palestrina).

Unfortunately, as I keep telling The Clam, there is no button I can push to clear memory in my brain. So I still (STILL) remember all the words to all the songs from the movie Grease. I still remember the lyrics to dozens and dozens of rock songs, and I still know that Geddy Lee was the vocalist for Rush.

Oh, and "Tom Sawyer" was one of their big hits. However, I don't know many of their songs, because it's hard to memorize the lyrics when you can't stand the voice of the singer.

TBS

November 27, 2006 at 1:49:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kasia said...

I disagree, Seester. I know Keith Moon was a phenomenal drummer, but I'm not convinced he was better than Peart. And Peart doesn't have the dubious advantage of being dangerously hyperactive...

I'm gonna check out DJ's music links. You should come by later this week and listen to them, since you can't stream at work.

November 27, 2006 at 9:01:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home