A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Monday, November 27, 2006

The Rat Pack Is Back!

OK, so I went to see "The Rat Pack Is Back" over the weekend. (I got in for free - otherwise $40 is too darn much for any play!) For those of you who don't know what that is, let's start at the beginning. The Rat Pack was a staple in the 60s in Las Vegas. It was Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Dean Martin, Joey Bishop and Peter Lawford. (Little known fact: the Rat Pack was formed in the mid 50s by Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, with Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardner. But then Bogey got sick and died, and Frank took it over and made it what we all know and love.) Anyway, this is a live musical and comedy performance by 4 actors, as a tribute to The Guys. (Like The Beatles Tribute band a few years ago.) It starts with God up in Heaven (which is making a big assumption, especially if you know anything about these guys) telling them that they are missed back on Earth and He's sending them back for one more show. God, incidentally, sounds a lot like Buddy Hackett, which is just wrong. God should sound like James Earl Jones, don't you think?

Anyway, this show was really great! Each of the guys did several of "their songs." For example, "Frank" did Come Fly With Me and My Way. Also, they had a lot of comedy routines in there (since Joey was a comedian, not a singer) which were hilarious and completely un-PC. But it really felt lifted from an actual act of theirs, because they had "inpromptu" duets (which obviously couldn't have been) and there was all this goofing off and horseplay between the 4 which was so much fun to watch.

All of which just verified that I was absolutely born in the wrong era. If you give me a choice between watching a man in a tuxedo, singing and performing what are generally known as "standards" and some rock band with stringy hair and ratty jeans screeching some hackneyed phrase like "oooh baby", I will go for the tux-wearer every time! Could be Frank, Sammy or Dean, or Tony or Perry or Bobby even. But man oh man, THAT is music.

What a great afternoon!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Big Seester said...

I know, I know. Next time, though.

That is sooo sweet! I've thanked Jesus for her too. But I do it more now that she's a grown-up and past her temper tantrum years!

TBS

November 27, 2006 at 1:41:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kasia said...

You know, DJ, when Julie e-mailed me about that I just about turned into a puddle. :-)

TBS, so you have some perspective, Child #3 is going through a massive 'shy' phase. All I had to do all evening to strike terror into her heart was say "I can see you!..." ;-) ...and she would instantly hide. So I admit I kind of thought she didn't like me, or at least that her shyness overwhelmed any liking of me. If DJ had said "Guess which of our kids did this," I wouldn't have guessed #3 in a million years!

(sniff) And my seester has thanked Jesus for me too...now I'm all verklempt!

GARSH!

November 27, 2006 at 2:24:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home