A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So, cold enough for you?! hahaha. If I hear that one more time, I will not be responsible for my actions.

As you may be aware, it's just a wee mite chilly these days. It's actually much colder than normal, and not just here in Detroit. The response locally has been to send reporters outside in the cold to report on how cold it is (and then to report that one of their reporters got frostbite being outside in the cold, and no, I'm not making that up). The other response is that most local schools have shut down. They were closed yesterday and today. Those of us in the real world have gone to work, and in my case, worked in a building that was around 55F yesterday.

Well, one local school system decided to keep their schools open, and today, the students protested that they were being forced to be in school and, you know, learning and crap while every one else was at home lazing around and watching the boob tube. What the article says is that they gathered "in the commons area" and I'm not sure what that means, except I'm hoping it wasn't outside.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070206/NEWS03/70206034

I know I sound like an old fogey here, but I can remember school shutting down only a few times in my entire K-12 existence, and most of it was during an ice storm when there was no power and no heat. I especially remember a bad storm when I was in HS and the radio announcer basically said that the only school that was open in my county was my HS. Yes, to my 15 year old mind that was tremendously unfair, but it would never have occurred to me to do anything else but go to school and shut up about it. How is it that in 1 generation we have gotten to the point where students think they are entitled to cut class to protest being forced to attend school?

And, if the "commons area" is outside, then all I can say is, "Logic needs to be a mandatory subject in HS."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home