A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Monday, January 29, 2007

Thrilled, Nervous and I Think I Just Vurped a Little

So...I did post sort of around New Year's that I was going to (gasp!) buy a condo this year, or die in the attempt. This was brought on by many things, but the vast majority of it has to do with the fact that I am fed up with dealing with landlords and their whims and, er, peculiarities. I hadn't planned on being a single homeowner. I mean, my PLAN had been to be married to a nice Catholic guy well before now (smart and a good sense of humor essential; terrific abs negotiable) but apparently, God didn't get that memo. Somebody clever once said: If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans. Well, for whatever reason, God, St. Anne and St. Agnes have decided that I make a better spinster than I would a wife, so fine. I'll go with that. (I do have a choice, but I'm not going to marry a loser just to be married. I'd rather be single and happy than married and miserable. Ideally, I'd like to be married and happy. On that other hand, I have all my extremities and faculties, so I'm not complaining.) So I made a decision last fall that it was time to stop waiting for life to happen and just do it. Plus, you know, the baby seester (The Clam) did it last year, and she hasn't been put in Debtor's Prison, so... what the hell?

Well, with that in mind, and not mentioning any details to speak of (I'm sure there are no creepy stalker types on my little blog, but still) I have put in an offer on a condo, and it has been accepted. So, assuming the inspection goes well and I get the mortgage (I've been pre-approved, so hopefully there's no problems there) I will be moving into my very own little place come late winter/very early spring.

I'm thrilled and terrified at the same time, and I've hardly been able to hold food down, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to post on it, because I'm scared something will go horribly wrong. (I think that an SNL-er wrote a book a few years ago called "And God Said Ha!" That could be my motto, and I'm not kidding.)

Anyway, if everything goes okay, I will be queen of my little castle in a couple of months. If you think of it, say a little prayer that God spares me a smackdown on this particular issue. I'm already palling up to St. Joseph, and, mindful of the actual background of the whole St. Joseph homeselling thing, there will be no burial or threatening of poor old St. Joe. Just respect and devotion to a man who really stepped up to the plate and got his wife and son out of Dodge in a timely manner.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Big Seester said...

DJ,

Well, I'll tell you - I wasn't down with it when my parents decided to do it and commissioned me to help them, but I played along to be nice. Then The Clam did some research, and it turns out, poor old St. Joe was a regular Rodney Dangerfield in the Middle Ages. They considered him to have been cuckolded by God, and the burying him thing was a genuine threat - if you don't sell the house for me, I'm not digging you up, EVER.

That pretty much did it for me.

TBS

January 29, 2007 at 1:59:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kasia said...

DJ,

Yes, apparently people in the Middle Ages thought St. Joseph was a bit of a weenie because his betrothed wife got pregnant by someone else before they were married. Never mind that it was by the power of the Holy Spirit...and yes, never mind about the fact that it's JUST A STATUE...

And actually, I'm with you about these things not being harmless. I don't think they're the biggest threat the Church faces, but there are a lot of these sort of superstitious beliefs that put off non-Catholics. However, the way it was explained to me (by the inimitable Tim F, so you know it's well-thought-out) was essentially: simply because some people take a belief too far and venture into idolatry or superstition, does not mean that the belief itself is invalid. (I know you know that, but believe it or not, someone had to actually SAY that to me before I could begin to wrap my brain around it. I'm a bit of a slow one sometimes.)

January 29, 2007 at 5:03:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kasia said...

DJ,

I'm the wrong person to ask, honestly, because coming from my Protestant perspective, I feel the same way.

Big Seester?

January 30, 2007 at 3:00:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

Don't ask me, ask Tim F!!!

January 30, 2007 at 3:20:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home