A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I have a cunning plan...

So, regular readers of this blog will note that I am a huge Rowan Atkinson fan. I adore the Mr. Bean series, and I really got a kick out of Johnny English (even though I, as an American, was completely unfamiliar with the Barclaycard commercials which created this hapless non-Bond).

However, I might possibily have to say that Blackadder even beats out Mr. Bean in my list of favorite Rowan Atkinson roles. I saw Blackadders 1-4 years ago, and recently re-watched them (thanks to Netflix - hurray!). At some point, I realized that I hadn't seen either the Blackadder version of A Christmas Carol or Blackadder Back and Forth. Well, thought I, this must be rectified!

So I had Blackadder Back and Forth over the weekend. It was very funny - it deals with him (well, Baldrick actually) creating a working time machine and then traveling back and forth through time (hence the clever title). I won't go into too many details - it's only 1/2 hour, so if you're a fan, even YOU have time to watch it, DJ!

But there was one scene which was a 'milk out of the nose' kind of scene. He is in Elizabethan England, and he bumps into William Shakespeare. He gets Will's autograph, and then proceeds to beat him up. The first punch is "for every school boy and girl for the next 400 years" and he follows it up with a couple of additional zingers. But the truly zen moment came with this comment: Blackadder kicks him and says it's for "Ken Branagh's endless, uncut, four-hour version of Hamlet." When Shakespeare asks "Who's Ken Branagh?" Blackadder replies "I'm going to tell him you said that. And I think he'll be very hurt."

I laughed so hard I cried!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Big Seester said...

Yes, DJ, I am. Have you seen the other Blackadders though? Because a lot of the jokes on Back and Forth are kind of "inside jokes" - well, not so much inside as you won't know what's going on unless you have seen 1-4. THOSE are broken down into 1/2 hour episodes as well, and I think there are 6 per season.

February 7, 2007 at 8:55:00 AM EST  
Blogger Kasia said...

They're well worth it, DJ, though I don't think they'd be appropriate for your wee'uns.

February 8, 2007 at 9:23:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home