A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

So The Clam tagged me

for a meme, that is.

My birthday, by The Big Seester

I. Three Important Events Which Occurred on My Birthday
1. 1352, Innocent VI is elected Pope.
2. 1892, The first performance of Tchaikovsky's ballet The Nutcracker Suite is performed at the Mariinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg (no doubt explaining how I could, as a 5 year old, sit enthralled through an entire live performance in Chicago with my grandma).
3. 1996, The Oakland, California school board passes a resolution declaring "Ebonics" a language or dialect (thus hastening the decline and fall of the American Empire).

II. Two Important Birthdays, and One Death
This is hard, because there are a lot of famous people born on my birthday.
Part A: Birthdays
1. 1863, Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria (victim of the lamest assassination EVER)
2. 1878, Josef Stalin (wouldn't Cousin Joe be proud?)

But also... Ty Cobb, Gladys Cooper, Betty Grable, Cardinal Jozef Glemp, Jacques Pepin, Keith Richards, Steven Spielberg, Ray Liotta, Leonard Maltin, Brad Pitt (ack!), Stone Cold Steve Austin, DMX, Cowboy Troy (the 6'5" black rapping cowboy from Big & Rich), Katie "Free Katie" Holmes-Cruise, and (gag) Christina Aguilera. So THERE!

Part B: Deaths (I must list 2)
1. 1971, Bobby Jones, golfer (Dad loves golf)
2. 1997, Chris Farley (former SNL-er)

III. Holidays and Observances
Seeing as this is right before Christmas, there are not many holidays and observances (Advent, you know).
However, according to the Wikipedia, it is the feast of St. Gatianus of Tours (known in French as St. Gatien), who was a 3rd Century bishop, involved in evangelization of the Gauls. Aaparently he pre-dated St. Martin of Tours, who has eclipsed him in popular saintdom.

Also, in the Greek Orthodox Church, it is the feast of St. Sebastian (he of the volley of arrows), which we Cat'liks celebrate on January 20th. Nothing against old Gatianius, but Sebastian ROCKS! Which begs the question, when are those crazy Greeks going to learn how to read a calendar correctly?

What does all this tell you about me?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

That you don't like limits. ;-)

November 21, 2006 at 3:40:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

Well, I can't help it if more cool people were born on my birthday than yours! I skipped a bunch of people, actually.

November 21, 2006 at 4:31:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kasia said...

Hey, I skipped plenty too. I only snuck in ONE extra (Orlando Bloom), and ignored people like Julia Louis-Dreyfuss. And I had quite a lot of interesting events on my birthday; narrowing it to three was very difficult!

November 21, 2006 at 7:41:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marshalissimo Stalin was born in 1879!!! Don't let Radvinsky's revisionist research fool you.

JW, data geek

May 22, 2007 at 12:43:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home