A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Stuff I Love, Part 1

Ok, just to show you all that I am not a complete and total grouch (just mostly), I thought I had better balance the scales a little, because I do seem like a first class griper. I am in training for my dotage, when I fully intend to be cantankerous and difficult. However, I mentioned a few posts ago (I don't know how to do the little link, so just do the work and scroll down, you lazy bum!) how much I love the British show Coronation Street, which is sort of a soap opera, but not in the American soap style.

Another show I really enjoy is "Everybody Hates Chris," which is a comedy show about Chris Rock's childhood (well, pre-teen hood). He is roughly a contemporary of mine, which means that even though I didn't grow up in NYC, and I'm not black, I can still relate to most of the show. Also, Chris is well known for having what is technically known as a potty mouth, but this is a network TV show, so that isn't an issue.

For me, the stand out character is Chris' dad, who is played by Terry Crews (no, I had never heard of him before the show). He works 3 jobs to make sure the family is provided for, he knows exactly how much EVERYTHING costs, and he is constantly reminding his kids that money doesn't grow on trees. But he is clearly a giant in his son's eyes - as Chris recounts tales of his father, you can see how much he respects him. There's one episode where he is discussing something with his dad, and he tells his dad he loves him. His dad says, "See you tomorrow"and leaves for his night job. Chris narrates, "My father never said he loved me. He was one of three fathers on the block. When he said, I'll see you tomorrow, that meant he was coming home. And him coming home meant 'I love you.'"

See what I mean? A nice show.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

Seester, you've been tagged for the Wikipedia birthday meme. Head over to my latest post to see what to do. :-)

November 21, 2006 at 11:30:00 AM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

DJ,

I really enjoy "Chris" - it's not bad. In fact, it's probably the most family friendly "family show" on TV now.

How do I find time? Well, I don't always, but on the other hand, cats are notoriously independent, and hardly ever demand hours of my time of an evening. So, while you are reading to your kids, or giving them baths, I can be vegged out in front of the TV.

However, don't think for a minute that I wouldn't trade places with you. Cats are not children.

TBS

November 21, 2006 at 3:09:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home