A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Of All the Sanctimonious, Hypocritical...

So I drove into work today, and I was listening to CBC Radio 2 (Classics and beyond) as I drove. There was a news story (part of the Arts Report) that said that, in the state of California, the number two industry for pollution is ...(can you guess?)... the film industry! Think about it: the crash scenes, the explosions, but also the sets, many of which get built on location, used for a movie and then knocked down, and also (apparently) tons of things like diesel generators, klieg lights and big rig engines which idle for very long periods of time. Hmmm, interesting factoid, you say. But why are you so upset?

Well, Virginia, I'm upset because the movie actors (and other celebrities) who make tons o'cash from these movies have the gall, the unmitigated gall, to pull stupid stunts like drive to awards ceremonies in expensive hybrid cars and then chide the rest of us because we don't all buy them. They make more money from 1 movie than I will make in my entire life, and then get preachy because I don't spend my widow's mite the way they see fit! Not to mention that many of these people have multiple (large) homes which need to be heated and/or cooled, multiple cars, yachts, etc. Plus they jet off to exotic locales whenever the desire suits them.

Now, I'm not one to tell them how to spend their money. I largely don't choose to support them with my hard-earned money, but that's my choice. There's still millions of Gullible Gusses out there willing to support them in the manner to which they have become accustomed. But to tell me that I need to buy a car with brand-new technology (which may or may not be the best choice long-term) and which is more expensive than I would otherwise purchase when they are earning their money by doing more damage to the environment than I will in my lifetime is hypocritical and infuriating. Now what was that Bible quote about pulling the beam out of your own eye? IDIOTS!

Update: here's a link to a cnn.com story about this: http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/11/14/hollywood.pollution.ap/index.html

4 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Too funny! Hollywood is Number Two, right behind petroleum manufacturers. Too ironic for words.

Nice blog, by the way. I, too, am a proud member of the Militant Wing of the Apostrophe Protection Society. I just blogged about this not long ago: I PROUDLY changed the sign in a Taco Bell bathroom because they'd neglected the apostrophe. Lynne Truss (Eats, Shoots, and Leaves) would be proud!

November 14, 2006 at 4:51:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

Welcome, CWAM!

Thank you for the compliment!

Way to change the sign! I ALWAYS tell the poor schlub behind the counter (who clearly doesn't care) what's wrong and why it needs changing.

The Big Seester

November 15, 2006 at 9:03:00 AM EST  
Blogger Kasia said...

I embarrassed some friends on my last birthday by telling the waiter at a hoity-toity Belgian restaurant that some of the French dish names on the menu were misspelled. I even offered to proofread the menu for free, if only they'd agree to fix it.

(He just laughed. I'll bet it's all still misspelled. Grr...)

November 15, 2006 at 3:34:00 PM EST  
Blogger Dr. Mabuse said...

Yes, the more-beautiful-than-thou people are always quick with advice to the deserving poor, like us. "Here's a shilling for you, my good man; mind you don't spend it on drink!"

But when I saw your title, and caught the words "CBC radio" in the first line, I thought for sure you were going to be complaining about some lecture from the Nanny Corporation. They're not much better than Hollywood stars. I sometimes daydream about becoming famous, and then rudely REFUSING the CBC's request for an interview.

November 21, 2006 at 8:17:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home