A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Monday, December 04, 2006

The Christmas Meme

Can someone DEFINE the word "meme" for me? I know I'm stodgy and old, but words just appear in my vocabulary out of the blue, and it's starting to tee me off...

Anyway, I have been tagged by The Clam, so I will repeat myself for the benefit of my many fans:

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? I like them both, but I prefer cocoa…the more important question is: nutmeg on your eggnog: yes or no?

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? He wraps them, of course! Of course, it's just me right now, so there's no tree and there are no gifts for under the tree. Last year I got gifts for the cats, in maybe October. They were in plastic packaging inside 2 bags. I rushed into the apartment after the long drive from Frankenmuth, (ahem) powdered my nose, and came out, to find that the cats were inside the bags and trying to get the plastic off. Catnip, you know. Yes, they are both Nipheads. So that's when I decided that the whole concept of Christmas gifts for cats was a little...stupid. They don't know about holidays. Truly. It would have been cruel to put Honey Bear and Mr. Quackers in a drawer until December 25th.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White – classic! Understated and elegant.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Well, it’s just me, so I don’t really decorate, but if I had somewhere to hang mistletoe where the cats couldn’t get it, I would. (I have visions of coming home to find a 19-pound cat dangling from the mistletoe which is dangling from the ceiling.) Also, I believe that mistletoe is poisonous to cats, as is poinsettia. Of course, Darwin would say that's just survival of the fittest, but then I would have to call Darwin a cat-hating jerk, so...

5. When do you put your decorations up? See above statement about having a tiny apartment and very smart (and occasionally destructive) cats.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Excluding dessert? Does that include stollen? OK…well, how about the jello my Grandma used to make with pomegranate seeds in it…it sounds weird, but it’s delicious.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Hahaha. My cousin Janice and I used to say to The Clam (the baby of the family), “Look! There goes Santa’s sleigh!! Did you see it?!?!”

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don’t actually remember how I found out, but I remember my parents telling me that it was my job to help keep the magic alive for my younger sisters.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? The joys of divorced parents: Mom’s at Christmas Eve, Dad’s at Christmas Day.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? See above statement about cats. If I had a tree, it would probably be decorated with festive bubble wrap.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love it, but I don’t love driving in it.

12. Can you ice skate? A little bit, but no one will ever confuse me with Dorothy Hamill.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Of course! A rocking horse, the year I turned 3.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Family, friends and the coming of Our Lord.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? We used to make all these wonderful traditional German and Polish Christmas cookies, like cinnamon stars, animal cookies, Hungarian nut rolls, lebkuchen. And of course, stollen, which is a German Christmas bread.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Midnight Mass, and carols.

17. What tops your tree? I don’t have a tree, but when I do, it will be an angel.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Giving. I hate being the center of attention and look for ways to escape that pain.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? It would be hard to pick just one…I love O Holy Night, and Silent Night, and Angels We Have Heard on High…

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? I like candy canes enough to have one, but I don’t like them enough to have more than one.

21. Favorite Christmas movie? Miracle on 34th St (the original of course), and The Christmas Story. I'm also enough of a Christmas sap to adore It's a Wonderful Life, even though I have seen it 492 times.

22. What do you leave for Santa? Well, I don't, although Louie would probably loooove it if I did, but again, playing along with the theme, when I was a kid, it was cookies and milk. (Authentic German and Polish Christmas cookies.)

3 Comments:

Blogger The Big Seester said...

I see NO ONE can define the word "Meme."

I thought not.

December 5, 2006 at 4:15:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kasia said...

Actually, I Wikied it. It's originally a term for a virus, I think, but has been broadened to describe "a popular phenomenon" if memory serves.

December 5, 2006 at 4:52:00 PM EST  
Blogger Carla said...

I thought it meant "me, me, me, it's all about me" ... but I don't remember how I got that idea.

I just got this Meme from another blogger yesterday too.

December 13, 2006 at 3:05:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home