A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Little Mosque on the Prairie

So the CBC has a new show called Little Mosque on the Prairie, which debuted earlier this week. I caught it last night. It's about a handsome young urban Imam from the big city (Toronto) who accepts a position as imam for a small town in the boonies. Hilarity ensues. Well, not so much hilarity as a few chuckles. There was a big deal made about this on both sides (the CBC has been promoting the show ad nauseum, while many members of the blogosphere decided that this was pro-Muslim, anti-white folk propaganda). I reserved judgement until I saw it.

Now that I have seen it, well, it's a mixed bag. It had its moments. It wasn't rip-roaringly funny. Of course, I only saw the one episode. But here's my take:

On the plus side: the woman behind the series seems to genuinely try to show that many Muslims have a sense of humor. Well, in a group of over a billion people, I sincerely hope there are some Muslims who have a sense of humor. As a matter of fact, Lewis Black's one comment from a recent stand-up act that really resonated with me was that the extremists who are calling for jihad clearly have no sense of humor. And, when that happens, things go... awry. (Classic Lewis Black understatement there.) She also has a very Archie Bunker character in the older Muslim man. He is clearly not down with the Infidels. But it's genius to show him as a bigot, for that's what he is.

On the negative side: it doesn't come across as very brave. Perhaps that will change as time goes on. Plus there are a couple of characters who seem less Canadian than seriously right wing American. Also, I'm pretty sure that not every single person in a small town is (ahem) slow. Although, I'm a city slicker, so what do I know?

I'm still kind of reserving judgement. Hopefully they will grow into the concept.

I have a theory that the reason Muslims haven't had much of a sense of humor is because so many comedians are Jewish, so laughing at them would be haram.

But life is much too short to not laugh at each other and ourselves.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

A handsome young urban imam?

Is "urban" a euphemism for a Nation of Islam imam? ;-)

January 11, 2007 at 2:02:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

Um, no, he isn't a brutha. I mean urban in the original sense of the word: he's from the Big City.

And he is pretty cute. If only he weren't a terrorist!

January 11, 2007 at 2:59:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home