A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Friday, January 05, 2007

Another Meme - this one on movies

So The Clam tagged me with another meme. I saw this one a few days ago and wasn't sure I wanted to do it, because it's a tricky one. But here goes:

Favorite Movie: See, right here it starts getting hard. I am a huge movie buff, and have seen a vast repertoire going back to the early 30s. So how do I pick 1 movie? I mean, there are certain ones which are obvious, like Casablanca, but there are many genres, and to choose just one is impossible. If I had to pick one, I would probably pick Casablanca, because it has it all: comedy, drama, romance, action, evil Nazis and rousing patriotism. Plus Humphrey Bogart, who is on my all-time dreamboat list. Plus it has an added bonus: it was kind of a B movie which got rushed through the Hollywood production line, which means that everyone involved was completely unaware they were filming a true classic. Which means it doesn't have the embarrassingly nacissistic "we're making a film for the ages" feeling that Gone with the Wind seems to have. David O. Selznick put his career, his reputation and a ton of his money on the line making GWTW, and to me, it shows. And not in a good way.

Favorite Movie With A Religious Theme: Well, I do have a weakness for the gentleness of golden-era Hollywood when it comes to this stuff. I mean, The Exorcist is a great film, which actually touches on the demonic, so that's pretty cool. But I tend to prefer 2 specific sub-genres: the religious biography (hagiography?) which would include fairly recent films about Bernadette of Lourdes (as well as the classic with Jennifer Jones) and Therese of Lisieux, and the old classic Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima. The other sub-genre would be general fiction, like Going My Way and The Bells of St. Mary's, both with Bing Crosby, Come to the Stable with Loretta Young and Celeste Holm, etc. So, with that said, I'm going to throw a complete curve ball and say The Passion of the Christ. Simply the best religious movie made in a loooong time.

Favorite Movie Priest: I would have to go with either Max von Sydow in The Exorcist (what a great role) or Ward Bond in The Quiet Man, because he showed a priest as a human being, a real man, not a wimpy David Niven type guy.

Favorite Movie Nun: Audrey Hepburn in The Nun's Story. It was a very moving film for me.

HOW ABOUT THIS:

LEAST favorite movie with a religious theme: A lot of contenders for this one. The DVC is an obvious choice, but fairly shallow, as is Priest, and The Last Temptation of Christ. How about Brother Sun, Sister Moon, the movie which has inextribly linked St. Francis with hippies (which he would have HATED!)

LEAST favorite priest: Richard Chamberlain in The Thorn Birds.

LEAST favorite nun: Deborah Kerr in Black Narcissus. Weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home