A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Thursday, February 08, 2007

John Edwards and Catholics

Well, OK. I wasn't going to get into this, but...

Apparently John Edwards (the cream cheese presidential candidate, not the "sinners in the hands of an angry God" guy) has hired two bloggers to help reach out to his constitunecy in preparation for the elections. (Aside: I cannot tell you how much I am dreading the next year and a half - we are already hearing about this stuff ad nauseum, and it's only Feb '07.)

Apparently these two gals are a little anti-Catholic. I wasn't going to get bunged up over this. After all, this is America - free speech and all that good stuff. Plus, you know, the Catholic League is all over this like white on rice.

Then I read this on one of the blogs:

Q: What if Mary had taken Plan B after the Lord filled her with his hot, white, sticky Holy Spirit?
A: You’d have to justify your misogyny with another ancient mythology.

Ok. WOW. That is so beyond insulting it's unbelievable. The Holy Spirit is God, people! Let me say that again for all those (like me) post-60s Gen X types who may be a little unclear on the concept: THE HOLY SPIRIT IS GOD. Comparing the Holy Spirit to semen is disgusting. It is more than disgusting. It is blasphemy. This particular insult has nothing to do with being anti-Catholic. This is (or should be) equally insulting to all Christians (except unitarians, and I mean theological unitarians, not the actual group).

This is HUGE. Crucifix in a bottle of pee offensive.

And John Edwards, who claims to be a Christian, doesn't see the problem.

I mean, it's clear from other things on these blogs that both these women have serious issues with Catholicism, but just re-read the "Q" section above - that's equal opportunity offensive to all Christians.

If she doesn't like my Church, fine. She doesn't have to join it. I don't even have a problem with a little humor (see previous "Stephen Colbert is awesome" posts). But to refer to GOD as semen is beyond the pale. I cannot even come up with an example that would be THIS OFFENSIVE for another group.

You know, without sounding all "why can't we all just get along?" about this, I would NEVER be this rude about anyone's faith in anything. I don't agree with Jews about the Messiah, but I respect their faith. I also respect the faith of Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims etc. (as long as they aren't trying to kill me, as Buddhists are wont to do). I respect the concept of faith, or even a moral or ethical code like Confucianism. Sure, I hope that they all change their minds, but after all, whatever religion you belong to, you clearly think it's the best, or you wouldn't belong to it, right? I'm just the same. I believe Catholicism is the best.

Whatever happened to "I may disagree with what you believe, but I will fight to the death for your right to believe it"? Whatever happened to basic courtesy and respect?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The worst part about that particular blogger is that she attended a Catholic university in Texas, so she should KNOW the gravity of blaspheming the Holy Spirit. That's the only thing that makes me pity her.

February 11, 2007 at 3:41:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home