A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I Hate THE MAN

I Hate THE MAN - Originally posted April 3

So I have been looking forward (with bated breath!) to the release on DVD (FINALLY) of the awesomely amazing TV show WKRP in Cincinnati. This show was so funny, I cannot even begin to describe it. At least, it was funny in my memory. You know what I mean? There are some things which you watch, and then years later watch again, and you think, "Huh. What the hell was I thinking? This isn't funny!" (Case in point: Laverne and Shirley.) WKRP is tricky, because it has not appeared in syndication. So it's basically not seen the light of day since it went off the air in the early 80s (82?). However, in my memory, it is hilarious.

Well, recently the reason why it hasn't been syndicated came to light, confirming the suspicions of all us conspiracy theorists out there: THE MAN (the music industry) wouldn't release it because of contract issues with the various music that was played on the show. Thus proving what everyone of my generation had suspected forever: it's not about rebelling, The Revolution or general coolness; it's about making money. Which I normally don't have a problem with, except when it affects something like this. Honestly, what is the big deal here? And, if I'm honest, I have a problem with the fact that they try to play it off like it IS about rebelling. Liars. And, if we're talking about the musicians themselves and not the record companies, THAT GOES DOUBLE! Repent, you snakes and hypocrites!

Then, we heard that finally, WKRP was going to be released from TV show purgatory, and released on DVD. HURRAY! The Canuck wowed and impressed me by saying he was buying Season 1 as soon as it came out, and we made plans to have a WKRP festival (I was even going to make Cincinnati 5-Way Chili). You must understand that The Canuck is younger than me, but older than The Clam, so he has many pop culture references which Clam misses. So we were going to introduce The Clam to Dr. Johnny Fever, Venus Flytrap, Herb Tarlek, Les Nessman and flying turkeys. (She was more interested in Sesame Street in the early 80s.)Now I find out that The Canuck ISN'T going to buy Season 1. Why? Because those losers in the music industry couldn't get past filthy lucre long enough to just release the darn show. No, they SUBSTITUTED other songs for many of the songs that were used in the show, and often in ways that compromised the jokes.

What a bunch of tools.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home