A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Happiest Place on Earth

So Disneyland has been dethroned as the Happiest Place on Earth. (I've never been there, but I know that's how it's billed.)

Last weekend, I went to... (wait for it)...IKEA!!! We have one in metro Detroit now. To be honest, when it was coming, and the local newsmedia was fawning and drooling and acting like we lived in Bumble Fork, Idaho and have never had an actual furniture store before, I was more than a little peeved. "Good grief!" I shouted at the TV, after the 27th news broadcast that featured an overly made up junior journalist gushing over Ikea, "It's just a store - it doesn't cure cancer!"

Well, I may have been wrong there. It is entirely possible that Ikea DOES cure cancer. It is, simply put, the greatest thing since sliced bread. They have 10,000 useful and clever things, all of which would improve my life dramatically (see previous post about OCD and minimalism). It's all so...organized! Space saving! Nifty!

However, there was one thing that puzzled me. I was shopping for towels. I used to have these awesome towels that came from (I'm certain) Bed, Bath and Beyond and they were "spa towels" which is apparently code for "flat rather than fluffy and they take up less room in a washing machine, so they're more efficient." They finally bit the dust a few months ago, which sent me into a frantic search for replacements, which I couldn't find at BB&B (either online or an the store). I ended up buying some from Penney's which shredded the first time I washed them. I took them back, never fear. I ended up buying a cheapo version from Kmart to tide me over until I could find the real thing again.

So I'm looking at Ikea, and they seem to have what I want, except... They have:
1. washcloths (which look like American washcloths, and seem to be just about the same size as ours as well - if you've ever been to Europe, you may have seen the mitt-like European washcloths, so you'll get what I'm saying).
2. handtowels - which are HUGE. They are practically the size of an American bath towel.
3. bath sheets - which are also HUGE, but of course that's the idea of a bath sheet. I just don't buy them.

They don't have the size that you hang up near your sink for people to dry your hands with. They are really big. What's up with THAT? Do Swedes have really freakishly large hands? Enquiring minds want to know...

However, all in all, I love Ikea, and I expect to be hanging out there a lot. I wonder if I could pull a Bart & Milhouse and live there?

1 Comments:

Blogger The Big Seester said...

Yes, DJ, I am so all about Ikea - except for the towel thing, which is kind of irksome. I tried the "hand towel" this morning (having washed it last night). Lined up next to my crappy Kmart bath towel, I can see that it's significantly thinner (width wise) even though it's nearly as long. What's up with that?

It would either work as the world's biggest hand towel, or as a hair towel. As a bath towel, it isn't wide enough to do the job (unless you are a very petite person - like maybe 5'1").

So I either have to buy bath sheets (which are huge) or find another source for inexpensive "spa towels".

Grrr!

December 22, 2006 at 11:00:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home