A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Nerd becoming a Geek

So I've always been something of a nerd, but lately I seem to be developing definite geek tendencies, which concerns me.

You don't know the difference between nerds and geeks, you say? What is WRONG with you?!?! There are clear differences.

Signs That I Am a Nerd:
1. Major bookworm (since I was a toddler, thank you very much)
2. Bad athelete (just ask the former members of my co-ed softball team)
3. Being interested in things like, oh, I don't know, Welsh Ethnic Dancing. I have been invited to attend the annual British Isles Show in Toronto (Canada, you hoser!) in March, and when I checked out the website, I was highly impressed and interested in the Authentic Welsh Dance Troupe. Of course, I was invited to attend by my mostly Canadian Coronation Street Fanblog Friends, which may or may not add to the nerd factor (that's debatable). OTOH, the Welsh Dancers wouldn't be my first reason for going (meeting the Corrie Canuck folks and meeting Fizz would, and if you don't know who Fizz is, you need to be watching Corrie!) but it still counts as nerdiness.
4. Quoting things from TV shows from 25 years ago (you hoser!) which I do ALL THE TIME. I also quote movies, and The Simpsons. A lot.
5. Following politics, and not just American, but international.
6. Correcting people in restaurants and stores when their signs have typos on them.
7. Actually wanting to be an official "Card carrying member" of the Militant Wing of the Apostrophe Protection Society.

Signs of Creeping Geekism:
1. Actually reading things like Popular Science.
2. Dr. Who (and this is actually the reason for this post).

Now, I was never a sci-fi person, at all. I mean, I went and saw the Star Wars movies (the original 3, with Han Solo, Princess Leia and Puke Skywalker). But I never watched Star Trek, for example, and I never got into sci-fi books. When my friends were reading A Wrinkle in Time, I was reading my first Agatha Christie (I have read a LOT of murder mysteries, so don't make me angry!) I do remember watching the old Twilight Zone reruns which would be on during the day on summer break. I mean the originals, with Rod Serling. I enjoyed those, but probably mostly for the sense of irony they produced. (The "God says Zing!" factor.) I never, ever watched Dr. Who in the 70s. Now, the CBC has the new Dr. Who series on. After meeting 117 people over the last 15 years who were appalled that I had never seen Dr. Who, I made a promise to myself to check out the new series. I dutifully sat down to watch the first episode of the season, which featured talking skin. No, that isn't a typo. About 25 minutes into the episode, I said, "Ohhhhkaaaaaayyyyy. I am not a sci-fi fan, and never will be. Talking skin? How creepy is THAT?"

That's right. I almost escaped the geek flavor that has begun to permeate my being. But then, someone made mention on the Corrie Canuck blog that there was a Dr. Who episode coming up which was written by a former Corrie writer, and it was a kind of tribute episode to Corrie. OK, I thought, but they'd better bring Ena Sharples back from the dead. Well, they didn't, but I did enjoy the episode. A lot. And when I saw the preview for Monday's episode, I was intrigued enough to remember to watch it. And I enjoyed THAT too! AND, it's a 2-part episode, so I have to tune in again next week! What is happening to me?!?!

Next thing you know, I'm going to be buying a pocket protector.

As Professor Frink would say, "Glaven!"

8 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline said...

Wait, Michigander, are you a 'Sister'? If so, I gots another place to take you to when you come visit Toronto.

December 5, 2006 at 2:33:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

Hi Jacqueline,

I'm a sister, but not a sister. I mean, I have siblings, but I'm not a nun.

What's the other place, then? I'm curious.

BTW, welcome to the blog! Hope you enjoy it!

Michigander Fan

December 5, 2006 at 2:42:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jacqueline said...

I'm safe in assuming you're a church going R.C. then? Loved to take you to my parish if you are...very small, very wonderful community.

If that's not your cup o tea, we'll just go out and get drunk instead.

December 5, 2006 at 3:00:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jacqueline said...

Just when I saw you list your industry as religion and you call yourself the big seester...thought maybe you might be a sister,sister.

December 5, 2006 at 3:01:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

Ahhh, Jacqueline,

I get you. Yes, I am a practicing RC (I have to practice, because I'm not as good at it as I'd like to be!) and I would love to visit your parish when I'm in TO for the BIS.

That said, I also work for the Archdiocese of Detroit. It's one of the best jobs I have ever had. (I also worked for Hiram Walker for a while - that was a pretty good job too!)

MF

December 5, 2006 at 3:19:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

DJ,

I know - that is soooo cool!

What's her name again?

Yeah, I've pretty much always known I was a nerd - when you end up playing Czechoslovakia in the Nations of the World pageant in school because you are the only one who can pronounce it correctly, and get teased mercilessly by the other little monsters, you come to grips with it early in life.

I did not, however, expect to add traits of geekiness to my admitted nerdiness. This strikes me as patently unfair.

TBS

December 5, 2006 at 3:50:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kasia said...

Geeks and nerds, unite!

My sister may finally be becoming nerdier than me. (sniff) Don't it just make you PROUD? She's growing up!

grin

December 5, 2006 at 4:49:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

DJ,

ABSOLUTELY! Anything that can get me props on the Corrie Canuck blog would be most welcome! Those folks have been downright hospitable to me, and welcomed me even though I am not actually a Canuck. They have taken me into their frozen tundra bosom, and I would like to repay their kindness with nifty tidbits, like that your aunt went on vacation with Pat Phoenix or she's the one who came up with Betty Turpin's Hotpot recipe...

I would be most appreciative!

TBS

December 6, 2006 at 2:43:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home