A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Triumph of the Will

Hardee har har. I was actually going to call the post Veni, Vidi, Vici, but that isn't entirely accurate.

This is a post about will power, and not succumbing to the mood of the general population and stuffing one's face over the Christmas season. Because this year, I was mostly successful. I can't say Vici though, because I don't think you ever completely conquer the vast quantity of temptations which abound in our culture. Over the last few days, as I was pondering the post, that was my working title. But then I came into work today, and found the following in the kitchen:

1. half of a cake
2. homemade fudge
3. a box of Jelly Bellies (because nothing says Christmas like Easter candy)
4. half a loaf of some kind of Christmas bread

I think that's it, but to be honest, I was trying not to look too hard. Now, keep in mind that this stuff wasn't there before the holiday. This is stuff people brought in from home today. So you see, you don't "conquer" it - you just keep making choices which hopefully don't add to your bulge.

However, I was able to steer my vessel safely through the waters during December, with one or two exceptions. Dad's homemade cinnamon rolls on Christmas Day (I had 2!) and 1 packet of gourmet cocoa. Oh, and Stollen, but I knew that was coming. That will have its own post eventually.

All in all, I'm pretty proud of myself. Of course, we will have a minimum of 2 birthday celebrations in January, at least one of which wil involve dessert (I know because I'm making it).

Ah well. As Roseanne Rosannadanna used to say, "It's always something!"

Here's hoping that will power is like a muscle, and the more it gets used, the stronger it gets.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

Go you! :-)

I think it's very much like that - the more you use it, the stronger it gets. Of course, C.S. Lewis had a great point in The Horse and His Boy: one of the characters is given a new task just when he thinks he's completely exhausted from the last one, and Lewis wryly says that Shasta had not yet learned that one's reward for completing a task is usually to have a new and more difficult task assigned.

So your will power gets stronger, but you slay bigger dragons too. Kind of like with kids: their problems are usually pretty small in our eyes, but their experience is small too. Little people, little problems. As we grow up, and learn to deal with the little problems, we get progressively more complex problems to deal with.

I hope this didn't ruin your day...

January 3, 2007 at 9:46:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home