A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Visualize World Peace

Well, another year has come along. Of course, we all know (because John Lennon told us so) that War Is Over (If You Want It), so I feel confident that this year will be the year we finally get that elusive World Peace. Won't that be nice?

One of the myriad nobbly weird streams of consciousness I have had is about the philosophical difference between the Right and the Left in terms of how to GET world peace. Lefties seem to think that world peace will come if enough people put a bumper sticker declaring their desire for it on their cars and those of us on the Right pray for it, usually when Father mentions it during the Prayers of the Faithful.

I actually know how to achieve World Peace, but it involves removing the other 5 billion people from the planet. (Which I'm pretty sure would mean me spending a looooong time in Purgatory. Plus then my glasses would break and there would be nobody to fix them. I loved that episode of the Twilight Zone!) But it would be peaceful. Otherwise, as long as there are people to fight with, well, we're just going to do it. Think about it. Even when you're sitting on your third of the back seat of the Toyota Corolla, minding your own business, one of your siblings just has to start air-poking you and saying, "Not touching - can't get mad!" So you smack them, and it escalates from there.

I really have no idea why this is such a difficult concept for some people to grasp - perhaps they were only children?

I will keep praying for it. However, if my understanding of the Church's theology is correct, world peace will only come as part of the end of the world, which in my book is not good. I'm not ready for the world to end. Like little Francisco Marto, I have many rosaries I must say before I die. I need a few more decades in which to become the kind of person God might want to have around.

So, like St. Augustine, I must pray for deferred gratification.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

"Air-poking", ha!

Gee, as a big brother, I can't relate to that at all.

January 2, 2007 at 1:06:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

Jim,

Yes. It usually involved poking your fingers about 3 inches from your enemy's face and chanting "Not touching - Can't get mad!" over and over again.

Good times.

Of course, you must not listen to any evil rumors spawned by The Clam about my ability to hold the younger siblings down and "hang drool" over their faces.

That would be nothing but vicious slander.

TBS

January 2, 2007 at 1:26:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jim said...

Now that, I never did...

I probably would have actually gotten in trouble for that... :)

But, I have to say, it was my little brother that was the king of getting me and my sister extremely mad without doing anything we could tell on.

And he's still good at that kind of thing.

January 2, 2007 at 4:26:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kasia said...

I think siblings in general are exceptionally good at pushing each others' buttons. The Big Seester can rile me up with a look or a tone - like you said, nothing I can tell on her for. I'm sure I have the same effect on her, without even trying.

The drool thing was GROSS. No, she never actually let the drool hit us, but it was still revolting. And she probably did get in trouble for it, but the thing is, our parents couldn't know about it until AFTER we'd finally been released. In the meantime, a lot of tormented screaming ensued. Some day...some day...revenge will be MINE!

The Clam

January 3, 2007 at 9:41:00 AM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

Well, you shouldn't have made me mad!

If you'll remember, I was also the Big Seester who gave you bodacious airplane rides (which the parental units also wouldn't have approved of). Plus mom and dad were... (ahem) otherwise occupied most of the time. They probably didn't even care.

Hang drooling is an art form, and it takes much work to perfect the skill. It would never do to accidentally let the drool go when the squirming sibling has nicely hollered "Uncle" or whatever was required.

Really, it's just a human version of Alpha Dog, isn't it?

Of course, I haven't done it for at least 3 years now, so I'm probably out of practice...

Grin.

January 3, 2007 at 2:07:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home