A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Friday, January 12, 2007

Well, I hope they are WIDE seats...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,243280,00.html

Because links sometimes disappear, the story is about how the LA Dodgers will have "all you can eat" seats at their ballpark next year. Now, this is just a BAAAD idea. I don't think ANYTHING should be "all you can eat."

I like baseball. I don't particularly like watching it on television, but there is something very nice about spending a sunny summer afternoon with a beer and a hotdog, root-root-rooting for the home team. I get that. I even get having food and beverages as part of the experience. But come on. You'd have to be blind and living under a rock to not have noticed that we have a slight weight problem in this country (collectively speaking). Call me crazy, but I happen to think that one factor of the problem (not the only one; I'm not a simpleton) is the unbelievable ubiquitousness of food in our culture. It is quite literally everywhere. And most of it is fattening. (OK, see there would be an exception to the "no all you can eat rule": celery. You can eat as much celery as you want. But, really, who wants to mange on celery?)

One of the blogs I read is a quite thoughtful one which talks a lot about food and our culture. The author of the blog is a proponent of something called CR, or CRON (calorie restriction with optimal nutrition). It kind of deserves its own post to explain, and while I don't practice CR, I can see some of their points quite clearly. For example, the fact that we are drowning in food. Anyway, April coined a word (well, I don't know that she coined it, but I've never seen it before): obesogenic. We live in an obesogenic culture. A thousand opportunities arise each day to eat things that aren't healthy. Even if you make the right choice 90% of the time, you're still eating a lot of gak.

I definitely don't want Big Brother (aka the government) to intervene on my behalf. First of all, I like small government. Second of all, they would screw it up. Asking the government to police our food is like asking the Three Stooges to paint your office. (Knucklehead! Why I oughtta...)

Any change that is to happen has to come from a basic economic concept: supply and demand. If we stop demanding it, they'll stop supplying it. It's a basic rule of the market. So every time I pass up the Supersized Meal, the deep-fried oreos, the all you can eat anything, I have voted with my dollar. It's just that there don't seem to be enough people out there who are voting the same way I am. And until that changes, we will continue to get fatter and less healthy.

If enough people reacted to "all you can eat" with a look of disgust and an "Eeeewww!" (what a great word!) perhaps they would discontinue these seats. I mean, would you want to admit you bought the porker seats at the ballpark? I wouldn't. I'm frankly surprised that LA of all places would be doing this. (Unless Brad Pitt wants to look like Will Ferrell.)

What do you think?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

What do I think?

I think Will Ferrell is much more attractive than Brad Pitt. Gotta love a man who can make you laugh, and who'll laugh at himself. Pitt takes himself too seriously. "Angie and I will consider getting married when everyone in this country who wants to marry is able to." Well, I'll tell you when Miko marries Dodge, and you can go ring shopping. :-p

The Clam

January 16, 2007 at 12:20:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

Your cats are in an incestuous same-sex relationship?

You must be so proud!

January 16, 2007 at 12:57:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

And I WANTED to know what you thought about all you can eat seats at Dodger Stadium, not Brad Pitt. (You know I can't stand him - I was just making a point!)

January 16, 2007 at 12:59:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home