A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

So she quit...

Amanda Marcotte, one of the two bloggers John Edwards hired that had all kinds of anti-Catholic (and anti-Christian) rhetoric on their blogs, has quit the Edwards campaign. (I posted on this situation a few days ago.)

In her statement, she said that the criticism "was creating a situation where I felt that every time I coughed, I was risking the Edwards campaign."

She also said, "No matter what you think about the campaign, I signed on to be a supporter and a tireless employee for them, and if I can't do the job I was hired to do because Bill Donohue doesn't have anything better to do with his time than harass me, then I won't do it."

Um, OK. First of all, she did a leeeeetle bit more than cough. She was loudly and virulently anti-Catholic. And secondly, actually, Bill Donohue DOESN'T have anything "better to do." THAT'S HIS JOB. You know, just like the NAACP, or the B'nai Brith. Donohue is PAID TO ENSURE that Catholics get the same respect as any other group.

If you don't see the problem with what she wrote, just try substituting "Black" or "Jew" in any of her blog entries. Where people are listed, put MLK's name. Oh. Now you get it.

I must admit, though that I thought The Anchoress had a really good take on this. Here's the link: http://theanchoressonline.com/2007/02/08/blogmistresses-not-fired-by-edwards-alrighty-then/

I'm particularly referring to the list...

I just think it's really sad that we live in a country where we can:
1. hang a "dream catcher"
2. do zen meditation
3. become a wiccan
but Christians are somehow mentally deficient morons. If you want to be a wiccan, fine. But have the same respect for my beliefs that you expect for yours.

Or, as Jesus said, "Do unto others, as you would have other do unto you."

Or even, as Mom would say, "If you can't say something nice..."

2 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

I know, DJ - it was just one more time when she completely missed the point. First she missed it in several of the actual comments she's made (I would say most or all, but I don't remember for sure). Then she missed it with the non-apology. Now she's missing it by complaining about being the real victim here. And TBS brings up another good one: she missed the point about Bill Donohue's JOB being to be concerned with statements like the ones she made. Like Fabio over on The Cafeteria Is Closed said, "seek the battle, don't complain about the wounds."

TBS, I actually e-mailed the ABC story on her quitting to Mom. I told her this was a great example of the press filter on news, as this was the first mainstream (not counting Fox as mainstream) news coverage I'd seen on the issue, and it did not do justice to the issue at all. I offered to provide quotes if she would like them, saying that the quote ABC provided did not in any way capture why people were so upset. Haven't heard back from her yet, but I'm sure I will.

February 13, 2007 at 2:22:00 PM EST  
Blogger The Big Seester said...

Fox News is fair and balanced. Fair and balanced. Fair and balanced.

Got it?

TBS

February 13, 2007 at 3:36:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home