A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

It's the most wonderful time of the year

OK, so it's that time of year... The time of year when I do a fair amount of donating to charities. It's the season for giving, after all, and now that I'm not 8 anymore, I really do understand and believe that it's better to give than receive. Sure, there are things I do throughout the year as well, but somehow, the Christmas season really brings into focus how many people are struggling out there, and how extremely fortunate I am. (I hesitate to say "blessed" because I have real issues with the whole "health and wealth gospel" thing, which is another post.)

This year, especially here in Michigan, things are really tough. So, I am trying to be as generous as I can, and I feel guilty because I'm saving money because I want to buy a little condo next year, so I'm being what I consider to be fairly Scroog-ey. But I've donated to the Archdiocese's Adopt-a-Family, the Capuchin Soup Kitchen and the Salvation Army. Also, every year our department chooses a charity to support at our Christmas luncheon, which is a "potless potluck." This year, we are supporting one of the other secretaries, who is quitting her job to go work in an orphanage in Africa. (Wow.) Last year it was the Council of Catholic Women's Operation Layette, where they provide layettes for low-income pregnant women. There's also St. Aloysius Warming Center (I work downtown, and I can tell you there are a lot of people who are homeless or indigent down here.) I also want to take canned goods to the Operation Can-Do which Big Boy holds every year. You get the idea. So many worthy causes, so little $$$.

But then today, something happened that really impressed me, and at the same time, convicted me. I was invited to a luncheon on the floor, which was in honor of a guy from Africa, who is heading back there after 3 months in the States. He runs a school in Rwanda, and was doing some fundraising. Between AIDS and the fallout from the genocide, things are pretty tough there right now. Anyway, one of the women who came to the luncheon is a Girl Scout Troop Leader (Brownies, actually, 1st-3rd grade) and she explained in general terms about this man and the school and the situation in Rwanda (it's hard to explain genocide and AIDS to 7 year olds) and the girls decided they wanted to help. Between making bracelets and selling them, and bakesales, they raised $1,300. That's right, folks. 35 little girls raised $1,300. I actually started to cry right in the middle of this luncheon.

On the one hand, I am so impressed with these girls, and proud of them. On the other hand, I am fairly ashamed of myself for not being more generous myself. I mean, I know it's just this one year, while I sock the bucks away so I have a little bit of a cushion for next summer, but still.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home