A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Wicked Weather

I was going to call this Things That Irritate Me, Part 5,942, but then I thought, you know, just looking at the titles of a lot of my posts, you might get the impression that I am trying out for Walter Matthau's role in Grumpy Old Men. Of course, I'm not old (yet, but I do hope to be one day) and I'm not a man (and I DON'T hope to be). But, The Clam can tell you, I can get pretty grumpy. However, I am generally in a good mood most of the time. I just... don't suffer fools gladly.

Anyway, it really bugs me that whenever there's a storm (or any bad weather) the caption on the TV news invariably says "Wicked Weather." OK. Here's the thing: weather is a force, not a person. There is no such person as "Mother Nature," people! When we have an ice storm, or freezing rain, or Hurricane Katrina, that is not some hippie chick with long blond hair and a wreath on her head taking a bad acid trip and dragging us along with her. It's just WEATHER. Calling it "wicked" is stupid. It's anthropomorphising it. And I would like to nominate it for the list of phrases and words that need to GO. (You know the list. It comes out once a year. Past "winners" include "talk to the hand," "jiggy" and "that's hot.")

And now, just to make you chuckle, guffaw or giggle, I will again quote C. Montgomery Burns: "Oooh, so Mother Nature needs a favor?! Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys! Nature started the fight for survival, and now she wants to quit because she's losing. Well I say, hard cheese."

If you MUST have alliteration, how about "Wintry Weather?" Because that's what it is...

1 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

Know what irks ME about weather reporting? (Apart from the fact that it's almost never accurate, of course.) WWJ turns everything into a "Survival Season": "...all winter survival season long!" "...all construction survival season long!" etc.

Here's my thing: just because we have some nincompeeps in our culture who have to do things EXTREME, doesn't mean that a Detroit winter is suddenly something out of Laura Ingalls Wilder! Yes, there was that unfortunate woman out in Saskatoon who died of exposure out in a blizzard when her car broke down, but the fact that things like that are considered newsworthy suggests to me that they are UNUSUAL.

Grr!

January 16, 2007 at 1:34:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home