A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Monday, March 19, 2007

Terrific Book!

I just finished reading an amazing book which I wanted to recommend to you. It's called:

"Left to Tell: Discovering God Amid the Rwandan Holocaust" by Immaculee Ilibagiza

It's the true story of a young university student who is hidden by a pastor in a bathroom with several other women for 3 months during the Rwandan genocide, and how her faith was strengthened and she was ultimately able to forgive the Hutus who perpetrated the genocide.

It's not a particularly long or deep book, just a one-woman account, but even though the background of the genocide is quite distressing, you will absolutely love this woman by the end of the book. It really is an uplifting story, even though it's sad in some parts.

If you get a chance to read it, I highly recommend it. And although she herself is a Catholic, it's not a "Catholic" book, or even a "Christian" book - it's about one woman and her relationship with God.

I must say that it really was a powerful read.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

Ok, Seester. I tagged you for a meme - come take a look and start thinking of your six weird things!

March 19, 2007 at 3:08:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caroline,
Immaculee will be coming here in the fall to the Diocese of Lansing with appearances in AA and Lansing...Wasn't it just a remarkable book? We read it in a bookclub, and I passed it on to several people, including Fr you-know-who, and he mentioned it one Sunday in the Good News. I think the underlying message of forgiveness, coupled with the image of the Prodigal Son, are both great themes for this Lent for all of us!!!

March 21, 2007 at 7:23:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home