A Tale of Two Sisters

Random thoughts regarding religion, politics, pop culture, and anything else that stikes my fancy. Everyone says I'm funny (looking)...

Name:
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States

Big Seester of The Clam Rampant. Friend of The Canuck (Baldguy). Newbie blogger. Veteran lurker. What about me? I dunno... Sex: Girl Race: Whitey Ethnicity: Solidly Mitteleuropa, with a smidge of Brittania for good measure Religion: Roman Catholic Fave Hockey Team: Red Wings Fave Baseball Team: Tigers Fave Basketball Team: Don't like basketball, but Pistons Fave Football Team: Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and the Michigan Wolverines (the Lions? Don't make me cry!)

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

This one's a thinker

Not a Socrates thinker...a pop culture thinker. One of the websites I check periodically is called "Overheard at Western." Important point of fact: as I have pointed out previously on this blog, to our north is a large land mass which is called "Canada." (Well, in Detroit Canada is south of us, but that's a whole 'nother post.) "Canada" is commonly known by many Americans as "the 51st state" (what that does to Puerto Rico's feelings I don't know, but there it is).

However, those many Americans are wrong. "Canada" is an independent country (well, the Queen of England is on their money, so that's a somewhat debatable point, but they are independent of us). As an independent country, they have set up their own educational system, where they teach people to spell all words with random "U"s. Also, their mascot is a fighting maple leaf.

One of the best universities is Canada is the University of Western Ontario. It is considered to be in Canada's Ivy League. Well, there are those at Western who are challenging that reputation. Thus, "Overheard at Western" is a compilation of remarks which do not distinguish the speakers as Einstein's grandchildren. (Much like when Letterman and Leno talk to the man on the street.)

I checked the website on lunch today (it was a busy lunch!) and found this gem:

Coming soon to a theatre near you: Betty Rizzo Does Ivey.
Guy: So, what's your business plan?
Girl: Pink. We're all girls, and we all wear pink.

Now, the reason I chose this particular excerpt is not because what was overheard was so darn funny, but because whoever posted it made a really first class pop culture reference. I am something of a pop culture rainman (as in, once I hear it, it's in there forever, whether I want it to be or not, Chachi!) and it still took me a minute.

Anybody get it? Anyone?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kasia said...

Of course I get it. Betty Rizzo is Rizzo from GREASE. She's the ringleader of a clique of girls known as the Pink Ladies, who all wear pink jackets.

I also happen to know that Ivey is the name of Western's business school (like U of M has the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Administration). I don't know who it's named for though...

February 14, 2007 at 2:51:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kasia said...

Dude, DJ - didn't you major or minor in English?!

February 14, 2007 at 4:28:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home